Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pulpotomy

So Thompson's trip to the dentist this morning to get the "major" cavity filled didn't turn out quite as we anticipated.  Upon removing decay, Dr. Chad discovered the "sugar bugs" decided to construct an entire neighborhood, with their main thorough-fare running to the tooth's nerve.  Upon drilling close to the nerve, T indicated some pain.  Dr. Chad stopped his efforts, placed a temporary filling and sent T directly to Dr. Bill for a pulpotomy and stainless steel crown. (Our other option was extraction, but with this baby tooth being around for another 5-7 years, we determined it best to preserve the tooth.)  Upon arriving at Dr. Bill's moments later, they brought T back quickly, gave him another round of novocain (while he was still numb) and once work was underway, T was done in about 15 minutes.  To summarize a pulpotomy, they remove the infected portion of the nerve and "mummify" the remaining nerve portions to preserve the tooth.  Then the tooth is filled like a traditionally filling and finally "shaved" in such a way to affix the stainless steel crown.

I can't begin to describe how proud I am of Thompson.  He was one FABULOUS patient!  And I belive I can safely say he surprised both dentists and their assistants.  I was planning on getting him a milkshake afterwards, but he indicated he was ready for lunch.  So I offered him his choice of lunch spot...no hesitation...Celebrity Hot Dogs...2 plain with ketchup.  I figured of all foods to choose, he chose one that is easier to eat.  And he proved this meal was no challenge, eating both hot dogs on the left side of his mouth while enjoying a chocolate milkshake from McDonald's.  (I know, don't tell the dentists!)  Since then, his biggest challenge has been getting used to the puffiness of his lip in response to the novocain, and I'm working hard to remind him not to bite or chew his lip.  This was the worst of the three cavities, so based on T's mature response today, Dr. Chad seems to think the final two fillings T will handle in stride.  I'm so proud of you T!

No comments: