Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lessons from Dad

"his sheep follow him because they know his voice"
John 10:4

I believe--no, I know--God continues to reveal aspects of His character and His truth to me.  My thoughts may seem a bit scattered, but I wanted to journal these insights in hopes of encouraging and inspiring others.

As a mother, I realize my love for Thompson and William is great, yet God's love for me (and them) is so very much more.  He is the perfect parent.  Often when correcting Thompson and talking about how he's failed to listen and obey, I get a glimmer of how my Heavenly Father parents me and how He must feel when I fail to listen and obey.  It's so easy for self to get in the way and for the noises of life to drown out the voice of the Father.  I know I too need the reminder to step aside, slow down and listen.  He loves us unconditionally and simply desires the very best for us as He uses us to fulfill His purpose.

A couple weeks ago, I watched portions of "The Green Mile" (one of my favorite movies, by the way).  The scene where prisoner John Coffey imparts one of his visions to the guard by taking his hand and then saying he (Coffey) was ready to die because there is so much pain in the world (which he is aware of and sensitive to) brought tears to my eyes.  Shedding tears at this scene is not new, but this time the scene resonated deeply with me as I thought of how God must feel when we make mistakes and stray from Him.  And furthermore, the celebration He has when we return to Him.

The life God desires for us is all about love and grace.  Thompson caught me off guard last week when he asked me what grace was.  I was so shocked that I asked him to repeat his question thinking I must have misunderstood him.  I hadn't.  And I can't recall exactly what I said but know God used this moment to speak His truth through me in a way Thompson could understand.  I do know the only reason I have God's grace is because of the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross for me (and everyone who believes in Him).  Grace isn't something we deserve or earn...it is a gift. "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God." (Eph 2:8)  And it's this gift that gives me the strength, quiet confidence and patience to face each day and live a life that pleases God. 

It is my desire to use my life to glorify God and all He has done and will continue to do for me and my family.  I look forward to seeing what He reveals in 2011 as scripture reminds me to follow His voice.

"When I Say I'm a Christian"
by Maya Angelou

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow.

No comments: