Wednesday, August 24, 2011

External Idiopathic Resorption

So, it's been the year of dental issues for the Joneses...or at least half of us. Thompson's pulpotomy in January, just wasn't enough.  In May, during a regular dental cleaning, my dentist noted something "unnerving" with my bottom two front teeth.  A local endodontist confirmed what Dr. Chad thought...external idiopathic resorption.  I know...what a name? And what in the world is that?  Well, let me tell you, it's not good news.

Idiopathic resorption is where the root of a tooth is absorbed by itself.  There are two kinds, internal and external.  The best case is internal, where the tooth eats away at itself from the inside out, which is often remedied with a root canal.  The other is external, where the tooth began to "melt away" from the outside in, in which case there is nothing really that can be done to save the tooth.  And I have the worst case scenario in my bottom two center teeth.  Lovely, right!?  Unfortunately, to-date, they don't know what causes IR.  It is most commonly seen in people that have either experienced trauma to the face or worn braces (of which I have had the latter;perhaps in my soccer days i got a ball to the face?).  The good news, it isn't contagious, but since two of my teeth have IR, the dentist will certainly keep a close look at all my other teeth.

After lots of talking and consulting, the best solution for me is implants.  I have learned getting implants is a lengthy process, that for me, began today.  This morning I had the two affected teeth extracted by an oral surgeon.  The holes were filled with cadaver bone and stitched closed.  My dentist bonded the two teeth pulled to the two permanent teeth on either side to "fill the gap" while the holes heal and bone grafts become part of my jaw bone.  The expected healing time in 4-6 months.  Once it is confirmed the bone looks good, the implants will be placed (envision a tiny screw screwed into your jaw bone).  Temporary crowns will be placed while the bone grows into the threads of the implants, which is generally another 4-6 months.  Once the implants are confirmed to be permanent, the final and permanent crown will be placed.

Through it all, I've been reminded how thankful I am to have teeth, caught it early, been able to plan for the process, live in a time of modern medicine, and have such great dental professionals.  Just praying no other teeth are affected and that no one else in my family has develops EIR.

(T just saw my teeth and gums for the first time and replies with "it looks a little bad." I guess he forgot what his mouth looked like after both the pulptomoy and bike crash. I think I look better. *smile*)

No comments: