Monday, December 19, 2011
T conquers Hard Times
Yesterday on a chilly, late afternoon bike ride with Thompson in the Arboretum and Bent Creek, I suggested we go up Hard Times...a trail considered moderate to difficult featuring a steady ascent to the Blue Ridge Parkway before descending to the Arboretum parking lot. I was cold, my fingers were frozen, the sun was beginning to set and I knew it was only going to get colder, so I made the suggestion thinking we'd go up for about 100 yards before the terrain got too tough for Thompson and he'd want to turn around and head back to the car. Well...was I wrong! I realized we were nearly half-way to the top when he first wanted to stop for a water break, and at this point, I knew he could make it to the top. We stopped a few more times to hydrate and he walked his bike 4 times for a cumulative total of not more that 40 yards. He was stoked when he made it to the crest...and I was too! Plus he was excited to tackle his first real "downhill". And if this tells you anything, Bobby thought T was pulling his leg when we got home and he told him where he rode!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment