As for garden numero dos, I had heard of straw bale gardening a couple years ago, and after talking to my friend Sheila Singleton, decided I'd give it a try. She has had great success with it and confirmed it was super easy, just follow the directions. Here is the link to the article she gave me (and I had seen years ago). http://www.carolinacountry.com/cgardens/thismonth/march06guide/StrawBales3.06.pdf
Days 1-3 : Water bales thoroughly
Days 4-6 : Sprinkle the bales with 1⁄2 cup of ammonium nitrate (32-0-0) per bale per day, and water it well
Days 7–9: Cut back to 1⁄4 cup of ammonium nitrate per bale per day and continue to water it in well
Day 10: No more ammonium nitrate, but do add 1 cup of 10-10-10 fertilizer per bale and water it in well
Day 11: Transplant your plants into the bales; place the plant down to its first leaf and close the crack back together as best you can
So I bought two bales to give it a try. I guess you could say, I'm gardening and conducting a science experiment. I have placed one plant of each in the bales. One bale has zucchini, heirloom tomato and cumcumber and the other has squash and cherry tomato. I am hoping I'll be able to determine which method is easier and produces better fruit - in both quality and quantity. And then know which method to implement next summer. I'll keep you posted on the garden's progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment