Tuesday, June 8, 2010

AWSC - T's 1st "Camp"


Thompson awoke this morning "so excited" about his first day of summer camp, and I have to tell you, I was excited too! So here's the story of how Ashley Woods Summer Camp (AWSC) came to be.

Several moms in our neighborhood were talking about summer plans and how expensive it can become to participate in the local day camps offered to young children. So we wondered...could we put together a fun summer "camp" experience without breaking the bank? The answer...a resounding "Yes"! We identified 8 days between June, July and August as camp days. Moms volunteer in pairs with one hosting and the other assisting on each given camp day. Together, they decide the theme, associated crafts, activities and stories and provide both snack and lunch. The children are not obligated to attend all camp days (as there is no cost to attend!) but by volunteering children have the opportunity to participate. With their very own t-shirts (thanks to one gracious father for donating them), I surmise we'll find our children (13 in total) won't want to miss camp. I know today's theme was cooking and Thursday's theme is camping and bugs.

PS - oh yes, those are silly bands on T's wrist. He's crazy about the "craze" and was eager to share them with his camp buddies this morning.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I LOVE this idea! How wise and creative. I bet all the children and moms are really enjoying this fun idea! Thanks for sharing.