Saturday, October 6, 2012

T's 1st 5K = 31:24

We arose early this Saturday morning to participate in a local 5K road race.  Herb was asked to be the pace bike, and he in turn asked Bobby to serve as the sweeper.  We figured if we were going to be there with the Freemans, we might as well participate.  So...I signed myself up for the 5K and both boys up for the Tot Trot.  Bobby and I decided to let Thompson run with me if he wanted, knowing if he did, we would more than likely be the last two runners on the course with Bobby biking alongside.
As could be expected, Thompson wanted to run the 5K.  Having been signed up for the Tot Trot, he didn't have an assigned number, so I gave him mine (you've got to feel official, right?!).  After the horn was blown and the runners were under way, Thompson turned around to make certain he could see me...and then he was off!  I kept a steady pace, met up and ran with Mary (whose goal is to run a 5K in each of the 50 states before she turns 50), and all the while expecting to catch up with a tired Thompson.  But, boy was I wrong!  The next time I saw him was sometime about 2.5 miles.  He finished ahead of me with a time of 31:24 (10:08 pace and has been proudly telling others he beat his mom in his first-ever 5K).  His finish placed  him 42nd out of 51 total runners and 2nd in the male 2-19 age group.  We are still in shock and super proud of this accomplishment.

 and their off!
coming into the home stretch 
our proud finisher!

Tot Trot participants line up
the view down Wall Street
trotting with Anna 
almost at the finish line!
"yeah, I did it!"

No comments: