Monday, January 16, 2012

WY's Lingo

I attempted to write this post two weeks ago, yet haven't made the time to sit down and type...so here I am.  Over the past month, we've been amazed at how rapidly William's vocabulary, pronunciation and sentence structure has developed.  It's shocking!  Now he is singing along to songs he's heard countless times in the car and is speaking in nearly complete sentences.  Despite this development, he's still holding onto a few of his own "personal phrases"...
  • "step step step open the door" or "up step, up step, open door" = what he says when he sees steps leading to the door of construction equipment
  • "zzzp" with a head to his lips and a tilt of his head back = I want a sip of what you are drinking
  • "ha ha" = if he gets something right
  • "sharp" = scissors
  • "poopy out" = after he's dirtied his diaper (we're working on potty training)
  • "go peepee potty get m&m" (he know the expectation and reward...now for the follow-through!)
  • "oh man" and "oh, come on" = just copying what he's heard T say
  • "nice" = copying dad
  • "same same" - what he says when he's matching the same (or similar) pictures
William is showing himself to be a very articulate young boy, and thus, not much slips by him.  He also remains very much a Type A personality (which we know he comes by honestly) so changes to the normal routine and order of things can often cause a brief set-back.

Two fun stories related to "time-outs".  (1) Yesterday, we were upstairs when he acted disobedient (for what I can't recall).  I reminded him we don't act that way and it he did so again, there would be a consequence. To which he said "sit in red chair" (the little chair in his room where we will often put him for time-out if we are upstairs).  I said, "do you want to sit in your chair for time out?"  He responded, "yes" and willing walked to his chairs, sat down and waited for me to dismiss him from timeout.  (2) This morning, I sat him on the steps in timeout for throwing something to which he looked at me and said "timeout in dining room chair".  Yep, he wanted to sit in the dining room chair which is most frequently used for timeouts when downstairs.  Like I said, he's a creature of habit!

No comments: