Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Farewell Friend

Dobson
May 7, 1997 - September 14, 2011

Christmas 1998
Cashiers, NC
Dobson, I could not have asked for a better "first" dog. God blessed my life with yours the past 14 years.  You were loved and adored by everyone that met you, and putting you down this morning was one of the single hardest decisions I've ever had to make.  My heart, while heavy, was given the peace only God can provide.  Your once strong and agile physique had been steadily deteriorating, and I could not bear to walk alongside you and watch you experience what I knew lied ahead.  And as Poppy reminded me, today I demonstrated a loving act of kindness to and for you.

May 2004
The Woodlands, TX
D-man, you've donned the red collar well the past 14 years.  And my, what memories we've had...flying under the airplane seat from your birthplace in Memphis, TN; roaming the Merrie-Woode grounds; being loved on by thousands of young campers; finding hundreds of tennis balls; sitting on the front steps with your rear on the top step and your front paws on the next step below; rubbing and massaging your velvety ears; cross-country road trips; visiting Arizona, Nevada (Las Vegas Strip), Utah, Idaho, Wyoming (Grand Tetons), Montana (Yellowstone), South Dakota (Mount Rushmore), Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky; calling seven states home (TN, NC, VA, CA, GA, WV & TX); welcoming Thompson and William into our family; the thousands of miles we've walked and hiked in the sun, rain, heat and cold; swimming in the lakes and rivers; siring a litter of 10 girls just over 13 years ago; pacing when the red luggage would appear; barking at the doorbell (even the ones on TV); finding the shade and lying in the grass; and so many more!

Sept 13 2011
Arden, NC

My Dobson, you loved me and my family every day.  You loved us unconditionally and your presence warmed my soul every day. Thank you for taking care of us.  You are sorely missed and I know it will take time and God's healing peace to get use to your not following me from room to room.

Before saying good night to Thompson last night, I reminded him Dobson was an old dog, not in good health and a day will come soon when he'll die and not be with our family anymore.  He responded, "I'm feeling happy-sad right now."  And with those two-words, summarized all our feelings.  As for William, I know he'll remind us "bye-bye. Dobson. heaven".  I'll see you in heaven D-man.

2 comments:

Anne Smith said...

Precious words well spoken. Hugs to each of you. Anne Smith Greensboro

Lauren Flores said...

I, too, am going to miss Dobson. What a good dog and what an amazing life you created for him! He was indeed a lucky guy and will be missed. Love to each of you!