I enjoy cooking, but the urge to make homemade bread hasn't stuck me...until now. I'll make scones, biscuits and sweet breads, but rarely do I tackle loaf breads. I have vivid memories of my mother baking all the bread consumed in our home. I wasn't too fond of it and considered it a delicacy to get white grocery store bread a couple times a year. I can even recall asking friends at school why their bread was white while mine was brown. Of course, striving to eat healthy and provide healthy foods for my family, all my boys know are brown, whole wheat breads. Anyways, thanks to Jackie Brown, I was inspired to make bread last week. It was quick, easy and healthy! I surprised myself and think I've probably surprised mom as well.
100% Whole Wheat Artisan Bread Dough
7 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 T granulated yeast (or 2 packets)
1 T kosher salt
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
3 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1/2 cup EVOO
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (or plastic show box). Let it sit out for 2 hours. (No kneading required!) Place it in the refrigerator and wait until ready to make bread. Dough will remain fresh for one week. To cook bread, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Shape dough into desired shape and allow to rest for 15 minutes - 1 hour and bake from 15-30 minutes depending on size and shape of loaf. (for example, 1 pound loaf - let rest for 1 hour, bake for 30 minutes; sandwich things - let rest for 15 minutes, bake for 15 minutes)
That's right...easy, easy...and you can make fresh bread whenever you want! From this one batch, I made 8 sandwich thins on Saturday, 4 sub rolls yesterday afternoon and 1 flat bread this morning (which I'm transforming into a pizza tonight). The picture shows a sample of each. I've still got some tweaking to do, but all-in-all, I'm proud of my first effort and imagine you'll find working dough in my frig most weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment