Thursday, February 15, 2007

10,000 Steps

As you may (or may not) be aware, it is recommended we take 10,000 steps a day in an effort to reduce our risk for disease (especially heart disease) and lead longer, healthier lives. Who knew something as simple as walking could have such a dramatic impact on our health!? For Bobby's employer The Cliffs Communities, wellness is an integral component of their mission, and as such, they are encouraging their employees to wear pedometers and track their daily number of steps. To this end, The Cliffs hopes entire families will join in the effort and take the "10,000 Steps a Day" challenge.

With this said, Bobby and I are participating and we encourage you - our family and friends - to join us. Our desire for each of you is that you live the healthiest life you can and take "steps" that will reduce your risk for heart disease, etc. Let us know if you are up for the challenge. I'll be honest and keep you posted on my progress as I am sure some days will be more eye-opening than others. I've listed a couple websites below that you can reference if you've got questions, need more information, or are just wondering, where and how do I begin?

http://www.pbs.org/americaswalking/health/health20percentboost.html
http://www.shapeup.org/shape/steps.php
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

Happy Walking!

No comments: